Thursday, July 4, 2013

The big "D" word


Hello to my dear family and friends!!!
First of all, I am so sorry for not writing last week. I actually was unable to write because believe it or not I was in the hospital. Lets just say, dengue is not a fun thing to have. I got it last Saturday, and was admitted into the hospital in San Salvador...because my platelets were extremely low. 83,000....KIm will know that is not good at all. I also had a fever and my whole body hurt. It feels like i got hit with a car. And I got absolutley no work done last week. I just got out of the hospital on Monday, and my companion and I have worked ten times as hard as we did before.I did not enjoy laying in a hospital bed doing nothing. And it made me really realize the importance of this mission. 18 months is nothing....and it just doesnt seem like enough time. But the important thing I have learned is that missionary work is not a temporary thing. This work to bring people to the church, and the temple, and to change their lives is a life long process. And we are here on this earth to help each other out so that we can ALL return to our Heavenly Father. And I want nothing more than to return to my Heavenly Father and to see all of your smiling faces there with me. 
This week we have taught on the importance of the priesthood. Without the authority of God on this earth, the church would not exist. There is no way we could feel the true happiness we feel, without the priesthood. The priesthood blesses families and everyone on the earth today. I am especially grateful for priesthood blessings. Last Sunday when I was sick with dengue, I asked one of our Elders to give me a blessing after church. It was all in Spanish, because elder velasquez is from Guatemala..and doesnt speak a word of spanish. But it doesnt matter who gives the blessing, where they give it, or what language it is in. I want to testify to you of the love that came pouring into my heart from Heavenly Father that day I got that blessing. I felt sooooo loved, and felt comfort that everything would be okay. For all of you worthy priesthood holders, I want to thank you for living worthy to hold this special authority. Never do something that could cause you to lose this special gift from God. Not only does it bless your lives, but everyones lives around you. And for all you women who do not have the priesthood....do not feel less of yourself because you cant hold the priesthood. We are here to support the priesthood, and to help them live worthy to use this power. And that is just as important for us women to do that, as it is for the men who have the priesthood. Us women are responsible to protect the priesthood from danger and evil . Always be a good example to the men in your life. Live worthy and stay away from questionable situations. Same goes for the men. As we work all together to do this, we can all remain happy. Thanks for your love back at home. Even though you are not physically here with me, I can feel you here with me spiritually...and that means just as much. 
One last thing...I found a scripture during my personal study while I was in the hospital. It talks about trials and tribulations, which was pretty appropriate for my situation, because that was one of the biggest trials I have had so far in my mission. Always remember that our trials happen to strengthen us, but when things get tough, remember the Lord is always with you. This scripture is in Alma 38:5. When you read it, put your name in place of the name that is there, ok? It makes it feel more personal. Im going to modify it just a tiny bit It says, " And now my daughter, Hermana Thomas, I would that ye should remember, that as much as ye shall put your trust in God even so much ye shall be delivered out of your trials, and your troubles, and your afflictions and ye shall be lifted up at the last day."
I love you all so much!! I did recieve some letters today..lots of letters from the Vance family, and from Grandma Kathy, and Mitch and Gina. Thanks so much!!! Happy birthday kyle and kylie, and also my friends nadia and lindsay. Oh and since today is the 4th of July...HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!! Count your blessings today that you live in a free country, you are truly blessed. Enjoy all the barbecues and fireworks for me ok?? And send me lots of pictures! Love ya!!!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment